The use of Information and communication technologies (ICT) in teaching is not a new idea. It has been used for decades and the number of ICT tools available to teachers and students is growing by the day. However, most schools and colleges around the globe have been slow to take advantage of these advancements that can greatly improve teaching methods .
In order to fully utilise the benefits that ICT offers, there are some key factors that must be taken into consideration. Firstly, it should be kept in mind that more money will need to be invested on the front-end so as to offer all children access to technology while at school or college. Once this initial investment has been made, however, significant cost savings could result from a reduction in printing and postage expenses. Another factor is the need to improve communication between schools and students. These might be in different geographical locations or even in different countries, making communication difficult, time consuming and expensive. Finally, it will also be necessary to train teachers on how to use ICT tools effectively so as to make the most of their capabilities while ensuring no student is falling behind due to a lack of computer skills.
Public and private institutions alike must start recognising the value that ICT can add in order for it to be fully implemented in education. Not only would this help students learn more quickly but it would also cost less money than traditional teaching techniques . If these changes are not made soon then students could find themselves at a significant disadvantage when entering into the workforce and the education system will fail to provide them with skills that they need.
Using new technologies in education can lead to benefiting new and existing educational processes. It has several benefits which increases the efficiency of the educational process. The main advantages are given below:
1) Allows more interaction between the student and teacher
2) Enables better opportunities for students with special needs.
3) Enabling new teaching methods, such as blended learning . Blended learning includes a combination of both traditional face-to-face classroom instruction and modern online classes or MOOCs (massive open online courses). This method is especially beneficial for students who learn best through visual demonstration and hands-on practice. Online courses also allow these types of learners to work at their own pace without having to wait for other students in traditional classes.
4) Increased access to information which can lead to more effective teaching and learning processes.
5) Enables assessment of the student’s knowledge through questionnaires or tests given online. This is beneficial because it measures the student’s ability to apply what they have learned rather than just merely memorizing material.
6) Personalized courses, such as the use of adaptive computer programs, allows each student learn at an appropriate pace and also gives additional assistance where needed without disadvantaging those who excel in areas such as mathematics or language arts .
7) Increases motivation of students because technology can help make education more interesting and enjoyable for them. For instance, educational videos, interactive games and virtual tours through a museum or an art gallery can be used to engage students in learning.
8) Allows greater access for students to information on their subject which enables them to gain a deeper understanding of the topic .
9) Better use of school resources, such as computers and other equipment that are already available at schools.
10) Increases efficiency in education by allowing the sharing of materials with colleagues within a school or across different schools. Digital documents can also be accessed from anywhere in the world without having to carry heavy textbooks. Furthermore, it saves time when searching through printed books or journal articles during a lecture because all relevant information is immediately accessible online. For example, a student can easily find an excerpt from a lecture by watching it online.
11) Using IT in education also enables students to learn more effectively and efficiently . Therefore, if the school is to purchase computer hardware or software for educational purposes, they should consider using new technologies to make their learning environment more interactive and engaging.